2016 sees the return of the World Rogaining Championships (WRC) to Australia, the ancestral home of rogaining. This will be an opportunity for international rogainers to test themselves on complex semi-arid terrain that has not been used for a WRC since 1996. Entries will be restricted to 800 people (not teams) and maximum team size will be three.
Entries for Phase One will open on 23 October 2015, at 00:00 hours GMT, and will close two weeks later at 24:00 hours GMT on 5 November. Phase One entrants will have higher priority than those who enter later. If you want to compete in the event make sure you apply for entry during Phase One!
14WRC2016 Broadcast to non-ANZ Rogainers
On Monday 24 August and Tuesday 25 August 2015 a 2 day workshop will be presented at the event centre of WRC2015 in Kiilopää, Finland with a mix of theory and field practical sessions to discuss rogaine course setting/vetting processes and approaches. There will be a combination of larger group presentation/discussion and smaller groups with an experienced coach to spread ideas on course setting techniques and philosophy between different areas of the world.
Theory sessions will cover issues such as:
– area selection, permissions and access
– level of competition – local, national, international
– map – scale, accuracy
– armchair setting – control distribution, course structure
– setting – checking and taping control sites
– vetting – checking setters work, negotiate changes if required
– use of GPS
– final map – point allocation
Workshop sessions will put these ideas into practice with group discussions over the 2 days. WRC, regional and national championship courses will be used as case studies.
Field sessions will cover:
– field setting – map accuracy, taping, checking various approaches, moving controls
– take armchair courses and tape on map in small groups
– swap courses with another group and vet
– discuss setting and vetting process and issues with matching group
It will be important to have sufficient experienced setters working with participants. Ratio of coaches to participants 1 for 3-5 people.
There may be a nominal charge to cover material costs and possibly catering.
If you are interested as either a participant or coach please contact David Baldwin by e-mail to: email@example.com
Nyt pääsee treenaan rogainingia Tampereen Teiskossa.
Tampereen Pyrinnön Grano Games-suunnistuskisojen yhteydessä on tarjolla myös 2h rogaining. Kartta 1:10000 suunnistuskartta ja maastossa n. 40 rastia. Emit leimaus. 2-5 hengen joukkueet. 30 min suunnitteluaika.